Why is the first guitar lesson free ?
When taking one to one lessons it is essential you have a good rapport between the student and teacher. Otherwise I believe this will undermine the value the student gets from their lessons.
There is no obligation to come back, although I am pleased to enjoy a very high return rate to date, which means I am getting something right!
What should I expect in my first lesson?
I like to meet new students for the first time for a free first trial lesson so that we get a chance to meet and discuss:
- Previous musical experience
- Aspirations for future learning (i.e. for fun, grades exams, become a famous rock star)
- Style and genre of music they are interested in
- Availability for a regular weekly lesson
- Answer any of their questions
After a quick chat covering the above points, I cover the following in a quick fire style lesson to jump start the keen student’s learning:
- General theory of the instrument:
- Guitar construction
- Playing position
- Finger numbers, string numbers and string note names
- Notation (TAB, Chord boxes, stave)
- Introduction to your future syllabus and lesson structure
- Introduction to your first melody
- Introduction to your first chords
There is a lot perhaps for the first lesson, but I want to monopolise on the student’s initial enthusiasm to learn and this is of course reinforced over following lessons until it is locked down.
What have I got to lose?
Nothing!! Book your free taster lesson ASAP as spaces are limited for Term 1 2016/17!!
Have a great week!!